This trip of ours was a complete mixed bag, so to speak. Not every thing went as per plan, but that did not stop us from having a whale of a time!
– First the weather, yes, it got cold. How could it not? And this time, I was over optimistic. I carried a couple of shawls for myself, no coats. I just about survived. The weather was extremely erratic, to say the least. The first day in Athens, I felt that we would get roasted alive. It was scorching! The next day cold and windy. Santorini was gorgeous and warm, most of the time. The rest of the time it was cold and windy. That just meant that we had to be prepared – All THE TIME.
-Greek People. They must be one of the most friendly and helpful people in the world. I could write a full post on how lovely they were.
– The experience. We did everything we wanted to. Did all the touristy things. Saw the Acropolis in Athens, went on the Red Bus Tour( we had never done the city sightseeing tours, we normally explore places in our own way). This time daughter wanted to get the bus with no roof. So we indulged her. It is another story that we always got on the bus when she was tired after hours of walking and they ended up being a sleeping tour for her 🙂
– Ended up living in a ghost town. More on this coming up in a separate post.
– Stayed at an old windmill and a traditional cave house.
– Food. Ate, ate, and ate like there is no tomorrow. Especially a tomorrow when clothes refuse to fit. The Greeks serve cakes at breakfast, and I made the most of it. And their bread – delicious! Stuffed vine leaves – I drool at the thought of them. I should stop talking about food now.
Those of you who wanted Greek gods, let me tell you, there are museums full of them 🙂 Daughter on the other hand is obsessed with Athena. Not a bad thing, I guess, if she is fascinated by strong women, as a lady observing her said. Also, she shows great potential as a future tour guide 🙂
Belated Diwali wishes to you and your families. I can see that most if you have been super-active while we were away. So many new posts !